Lead Project Engineer
Columbia, SC 29209
The Lead Project Engineer will work with plant resources to fully scope, design, specifying equipment, purchase, and install new equipment and processes that are vital to the long-term success of the plant. This position is for an experienced engineer who implements designs and projects independently with little oversight.
- Lead engineering projects. Develop and execute all phases of a project of moderate to high complexity in a PSM covered chemical plant.
- Conceptual scope definitions, scope development, risk assessments, design and economic evaluation of processes or facility modifications, bids, progress reviews and evaluation, commissioning.
- Work with plant stakeholders to develop project scopes while including the appropriate engineering standards pertinent to the projects.
- Direct all aspects of project execution to ensure effective, timely and lowest overall cost of capital projects.
- Coordinate both in-house resources and external contractors to achieve project objectives and maintain relationships with equipment suppliers and specialists as well as mechanical, civil, and electrical contractor performance and safety.
- Provide all required project cost tracking and forecasting to realistically reflect outcomes for assigned projects.
- Maintain the risk profile on the project to acceptable levels, as defined by the project stakeholders and executive leadership expectations.
- Responsible for project installation, commissioning and process troubleshooting.
- Provide oversight and management of contractors during project construction activities.
- Adhere to all applicable EH&S regulations and Engineering Standards. Participate as needed in safety audits, incident investigations, PHA/HAZOP studies. Ensure company and statutory EHS standards are maintained, including Responsible Care.
- Participation, as required, in safety audits/inspections, event investigations, PHA/HAZOP studies, project management teams, and project briefings.
- Work closely with members of the engineering team & cross functional teams such as Maintenance and Operations.
- Develop and implement production methods. Recommends and implements improvements in the production process. Under general supervision, plans, conducts and supervises assignments. Plans and assigns personnel for given projects or tasks.
- Recommend changes in procedures. Operate with some latitude in making autonomous decisions. Review progress with team/project leader.
- Bachelor's Degree Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a chemical plant environment
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing/executing projects with a preference of 5+ years
- Independently managed all phases of multiple projects in a chemical plant environment
- Open to chemical background but must have experience with either batch or continuous processes
- Experience with a wide variety of chemical processes ideal including piping, tanks, vessels, reactors, a variety of chemical processes like distillation, crystallization, drying, solids handling, centrifugation, etc; civil design, structural design, instrumentation and control systems
- Project experience could be managing a number of projects at the same time in various phases up to $1MM or 2 - 3 projects in the $2MM - $5MM range
- Working understanding of PSM
- Strong technical knowledge of process engineering and project management.
- Thorough knowledge of principles, concepts theories, and practices of chemical engineering, chemical plant operations, and project management
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills with advanced problem-solving and project management skills
- Knowledge of Lean and/or Lean Six Sigma principles is desirable
- Knowledge of job-related tools such as Excel, Aspen, PI, Autocad, etc.