We are actively seeking a Bakery Scientist who will coordinate and execute on bakery platform initiatives by supporting development and commercialization of new and existing food ingredients and line extensions. The successful candidate will possess solid understanding of bakery ingredients and ingredient systems as applied to fulfill food product nutrition label claims for protein, fat, dietary fiber, sugar and caloric claims, and wellness focused claims. The position will apply scientific formulation approach and food science principles while leveraging company’s growing portfolio of bakery ingredients and ingredient systems and identify opportunities to innovative and meet on-trend market requirements. This position will also support research and commercial initiatives that are focused on cost and quality improvement of food ingredients. The candidate will collaborate with Ingredient scientists and technical experts to apply structure-function understanding to complex food systems and will build the knowledge to define and optimize taste, texture, stability and quality as needed in baked and snack products.
- Evaluate ingredients for their suitability in bakery applications with respect to sensory, stability, & processing
- Provide feedback to ingredient experts on existing or new functional ingredients to optimize their performance
- Formulate prototypes using company ingredients to achieve specific consumer nutrition and flavor targets
- Assist customers in the production of bakery items including attending plant trials, providing troubleshooting as needed
- Participate in food and beverage applications platforms team globally to share expertise and information across the company in order to drive more unique, high quality food and beverage applications
- Work closely with sensory science department to generate data needed for marketing purposes and to understand flavor and texture changes in applications over shelf-life
- Provide customers with training in the use of company ingredients in food through presentations and bench/pilot experimentation
- Assist customers in product scale-up, partnering with co-manufacturing plants and food innovation incubators
- Gain and maintain excellent knowledge of current food and bakery markets related to ingredients and customer trends by working closely with customer marketing groups and attending trade shows
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Mary Rigas at email@example.com.
- PhD or Master of Science Degree in Food Science or related field of study
- Must have 10 years of experience actively developing bakery products, including cookies, crackers, breads, muffins, cakes, tortillas, etc.
- Bakery pilot plant testing and production experience is preferred
- Strong expertise utilizing starch, functional flours, and hydrocolloid ingredients in a variety of applications is preferred
- CPG experience is a plus
- Must be willing to work on the bench actively developing / evaluating applications
- Possess strong knowledge of formulation and processing to change flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, or physical, chemical, and microbiological composition a variety of applications
- Possess excellent project management skills to prioritize projects and move multiple projects to completion simultaneously
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and the ability to work and relate directly to individuals from the areas of food science, production, sales, marketing, and commercial teams
- Must be a team player and have excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- The position requires approximately 20% travel
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contract Mary Rigas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Section Manager/ Sr. Technical Recruiter
I specialize in connecting talent within the Food and Beverage Industry and proud to be part of CPS, Inc., which is on Forbes Top 20 Recruiting Firms list for 2017.
Being a manager and senior recruiter in the Food & Beverage group, our specialties include product development, quality, nutrition, regulatory, sensory, flavor development and application from entry level to executive.
I am part of a team of seven which provides more positions for candidates to consider and more candidates for client companies to consider. We pride ourselves in building long lasting relationships and assisting both candidates and client companies in achieving their goals.