Summary Chemical company in the Portland Oregon area has an immediate opening for a Project Engineer at their manufacturing site.
The Project Engineer is responsible for the development and implementation of capital projects at the site. Responsibilities will include maintaining safety and regulatory performance standards, delivering reliable/sound projects as intended in the project scope and completion of projects on schedule, on budget. The Project Engineer will also provide technical support as needed to assist in maintaining safe, reliable manufacturing operations.
- Manage projects from project scope through commissioning and startup
- Work with the appropriate site departments/project sponsors at the plant, corporate and local engineering firms to develop project scopes, permit requirements, cost estimates, and installation schedules
- Maintain compliance with OSHA PSM
- Understand and comply with engineering standards and code requirements
- Obtain environmental, building, and safety permits as required
- Prepare/submit capital project approval requests
- Verify detailed designs, process flow diagrams, P&IDs, control systems, plot plans, isometric drawings, etc.
- Prepare specifications and obtain competitive bids/quotes for equipment, materials & contractor services
- Prepare purchase requisitions, detailed cost estimates and manage project costs to meet budgetary requirements
- Prepare detailed project schedules and manage to meet completion deadlines
- Coordinate and oversee contract personnel doing design and construction work
- Coordinate activities of site personnel supporting capital projects
- Provide training and start-up support including procedures and manuals when required
- Maintain detailed project documentation for future reference
- Provide troubleshooting and ongoing post-project support as needed
- B.S. in Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 5 years minimum exp in the chemical industry with 3+ years minimum of capital project management experience
- Experience with construction projects and codes in the chemical industry
- Knowledge of basic safety (OSHA PSM) & environmental regulations as they pertain to chemical plant operations
- Able to develop/execute project schedules (EPC), cost estimates and manage project budgets within those estimates.
- Basic computer skills (spreadsheet, word processing, presentations, email)
- AutoCAD, MS Project, Relief Calc, ASPEN a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills able to work within teams and as an individual
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organization skills and ability to find practical solutions to technical issues
- Experience with PLC, DCS control systems a plus
- Professional Engineer certification a plus
Assistant Technical Recruiter
I am a assistant technical recruiter, working with Bill Karalis, for the last 22 years. We recruit chemical engineers working nationwide. Since its inception in 1978, CPS (Chemical Personnel Search), Chemical Engineering division has become one of the leading recruiting firms in the country. We have successfully filled a wide array of positions in petrochemicals, specialty chemicals, bulk and commodity chemicals, foods, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, plastics, packaging, instrumentation, controls and process equipment. We have made placements at all levels from recent graduate to engineering management. Specific areas of expertise include: process, project, design, product & process development, pilot plant, tech service and applications, engineering, environmental, operations and process control & instrumentation.