Scientist II Bakery / Dough
East Aurora, NY US
Scientist II Bakery/Dough
The Product Development Scientist II will be an integral part of the team, tasked with planning and organizing research, assisting with Product Development, and the re-formulation of existing products. This role is with a well-established, global company offering many options for furthering your career through special team projects and various educational development opportunities. They foster a culture of community and teamwork while maintaining a science first mentality.
The role of the Product Development Scientist II will be an integral part of the team who will be tasked with planning and organizing research, assisting with Product Development and re-formulation of existing products. This role will also be key in working on innovation of new products and processes.
Key Accountabilities / Outcomes:
- Prepares prototypes and line extensions using research lab, pilot plant, manufacturing facilities and equipment, as required. Typical project assignments involve small product line extensions and iterative new products (e.g., modifying a customized product formulas to create a new product)
- Plans, organizes and completes assigned projects – selecting or developing new methods and assisting in the design of experiments
- Cross-communication with appropriate internal departments and customers accomplishing project milestones (i.e., Marketing, Purchasing, Engineering)
- Designs and conducts complex shelf-life and storage studies for product and packaging performance and make recommendations for appropriate adjustments
- Selects and evaluates raw materials for experiments
- Sets-up, operates and maintains research lab equipment ensuring a clean, sanitary and organized work environment
- Works with outside labs, universities, ingredient suppliers and lab equipment vendors as needed
- Performs complex measurements and statistical analysis
- Maintain accurate, up to date records, laboratory notebooks and computer database
- Prepare and document all plant validation trials according to department protocol
- Present results of complex experiments and recommendations to various groups, both internally and externally
- Order materials for producing and evaluating prototypes
- Develop solutions for a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity by applying extensive technical knowledge and experience
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Kristen Grawys at email@example.com.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field with 2+ years product development related experience in baking development; M.S. in Food Science, Food Engineering, or related field
- Experience in applying advanced mathematics (i.e., statistics) and their practical application required
- Broad understanding of food science (e.g., biochemistry, microbiology, nutrition, etc.) acquired through both lecture and laboratory work
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques
- Solid verbal and written communication skills with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Solid PC proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 including Word and PowerPoint; intermediate to advanced proficiency level in Excel and database, statistical software (spreadsheets, computer analysis; report writing). Proficient with relevant software tools (e.g., PLM, etc.) a plus
- Travel up to 25%
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Kristen Gawrys at firstname.lastname@example.org.