Scientist III - Bakery, Dough
Attica, NY US
Scientist III – Bakery, Dough
Collaborating with cross-functional teams and teammates, the Product Development Scientist III (x2) will be tasked with complex research, formulation and technical service in regards to dough and baked product formulations driving NPD and formulation and process improvements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop formulations and product prototype’s using research lab, pilot lab, manufacturing facilities and equipment that meet project criteria
- Lead, manage, and conduct plant trials to validate formulas and processes including process capability study. Train Operations and QA personnel on critical product attributes and process controls
- Responsible for the development of raw materials and finished product specifications for internal and co-packed products
- Provides solutions to a wide range of difficult problems by applying advanced technical knowledge and extensive experience
- Sets up, operates and maintains pilot lab and research lab equipment
- Selects and evaluates raw materials
- Designs and conducts shelf-life studies, including product and package performance under various conditions
- Works with outside labs, universities, co-packed manufacturers, ingredient suppliers and equipment vendors as needed by project activity
- Manages and conducts multiple, independent and complex research and/or development projects. Defines project objectives, organizing and prioritizing tasks and conducting experiments and analysis
- Coordinates and completes small and medium projects or manages segments or larger projects. Defines project objects, organizing and prioritizing tasks and conducting experiments and analysis
- Performs measurements and statistical analysis
- Serves as subject matter expert for the corporate to help educate the corporation on company’s current and future product and process capability/versatility and provide product solutions
- Provide technical support to Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, and external customers in the areas of product features and benefits, product solutions, and ingredient functionality
- Plans and conducts presentations of new and existing products to staff and/or customers
- Performs related responsibilities, as needed, to support the corporation’s business objectives
- Provide technical support to Operations to resolve product related production issue by identifying root cause, develop technical solutions, and implement changes including training QA/Operations personnel on findings
- Documents all formulas, process development and tests which have been conducted and records results of such tests according to department protocol
- Prepare and document all plant validation trials according to department protocol
- Ensures the work environment is sanitary, safe, and orderly
- Maintains a sanitary, safe, and orderly work environment
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Kristen Gawrys at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Food Engineering or related field with 4+ years job related experience in food preparation/food industry. S. Food Science, Food Engineering or related field with 2+ years job related experience in food preparation/food industry
- Knowledge of advanced mathematics (i.e., statistics) and their practical application
- Broad understanding of food science (e.g., biochemistry, microbiology, nutrition, etc.) acquired through both lecture and laboratory work
- Ability to apply technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques
- Solid verbal and written communication skills including solid presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Stand for 6 or more hours during the work day
- Ability to compare and distinguish differences in ingredients, materials, etc. through taste, smell, touch and visual inspection
- Manual dexterity required to operate various equipment such as scales, balances, etc.
**If you’d like to know more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Kristen Gawrys at email@example.com.