Sr. R&D Innovation Scientist
Sr. R&D Innovation Scientist
This position will provide innovation and development expertise to a wide range of growth / quality / cost savings projects from ideation through commercialization and provide on-site leadership and innovation project management for the team of food scientists.
This position will demonstrate joint accountability (with marketing lead and project manager) for project success by building strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders and providing technical leadership to drive projects to completion.
This position reports to the Director of R&D, so you must be able to build relationships remotely and be highly autonomous.
- Create thriving innovation culture through engaging Internal Stakeholders and External Partners – synthesize all inputs into an aligned 3-year development pipeline
- Execute projects through all stages of commercialization for innovation and core projects: design, plan, execute and communicate – consumer testing, pilot line trials and commercial line trials
- Provide technical expertise and solve problems on ingredients, formulations, processing, sensory and consumer testing. Maintain up to date knowledge of ingredients and technology
- Reinforce platforms for product compliance (food safety, ingredient usage, NLEA information, product claims) against internal and external standards (FDA, USDA, and third-party certification) through collaboration with regulatory, QA, marketing and other parties
- Build network of vendors for both raw materials and manufacturing that drive core growth and innovation
- Drive projects to completion. Leadership on workload balancing for R&D team, setting expectations, clear project planning and shifting resources to match business priorities
- Build foundational R&D behaviors and skills through-out the team at facility as well as within the R&D teams across the business
- Develop team-build technical skills as well as professional development pathway
**If you would like to hear more about this opportunity and others we were currently working on, please contact Damon Wickmann at email@example.com.
- BS in Food Science, Food Engineering, Biological Sciences, or similar disciplines; advanced degree in a related field is preferable
- 4-8+ years’ experience in the Food Industry, with 2-3 years mentoring and/or cross-functional project team management, innovation research, commercializing new products, and maintaining / improving existing product line
- Communicate technical details to business to drive decision making
- Execute projects within timelines by providing solutions to problems and managing risk
- Demonstrated ability to work effective in team environment through excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to excel in dynamic fast paced business environment, demonstrated ability to self-motivate and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Demonstrated product development in nutritional products is preferred
- Great communicator, and likes to work in a team environment, always pushing to try new things in innovation of products
- Likes to be an ambassador/advocate of the company and represent with pride at tradeshows, with customers and community
- Enthusiasm to drive innovation research and results in the company
- Critical thinking and leadership that supports both lab and business objectives
- Innovation and seeing projects through stage gate process to finish line
- Strong project planning and timeline creation of projects with forecasting objectives
- Overcoming technical hurdles and a creative mindset to drive projects through
- Passionate about food science, staying up on trends, keeping an ear to the industry
- Mentor those on the team, coach on their strengths, provide opportunities for growth
- Collaborative team player, enthusiastic and supportive with good daily energy
**If you would like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Damon Wickmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have always been an advocate of life and career strategy management.
I am also a 'Foodie' at heart and love recruiting for food and beverage companies.
My background in education has provided me tools to support my passion for helping talented people with career advancement.
I have transitioned from college advising to career recruiting where I combine that with my other passion - Food!
I recruit excellent people for the food industry and the science behind what we eat and drink. This includes research and development in the lab through commercialization and the quality people behind the scenes that make it all happen. I look forward to speaking with you soon.